We are pleased to once again offer a Takeout Church resource this year! This page contains all the information you need to put together a family resource kit to bless your families with. You have the option of either offering this as a physical kit that you distribute or you can post links to the family faith conversations on your webpage or social media, or send by email to your families. Our Instagram posts will expand the themes of this resource this summer. There is a form to complete to access all the print resources following the “What to Expect in this Resource” section below.
What to Expect in this Resource:
Downloadable Resources for Print:
- 5 Family Faith Conversations “Maps” based on the theme “Expedition Bible Trek: Paul’s Journeys”. Each conversation contains 4 main sections (Scripture Story, Mission Prompt, Identity Time, Prayer Prompt) and a Flat Jesus picture prompt.
- A Travel Log to keep track of where you and Jesus have gone together
- A Travel Scavenger Hunt
- A Nature Scavenger Hunt
- A Gratitude Scavenger Hunt
- Set of 26 “Identity Cards”
- Welcome letter with some kids and parents app suggestions
- Flat Jesus template
- Reel Family Time Conversation Card
- Set of 12 “Car Games”
- Ministry Leader Instruction sheet that contains everything you need to know to put together this resource for the families in your church
- The Takeout Church logo and Expedition Bible Trek logos are also included in the download folder for you to use
Further Ideas and Resources
- Spotify Playlists: Summer Worship Playlist or Kids Worship Playlist or Get Up and Dance Playlist or any of the other playlists we have created. Follow us as we add more kids music playlists.
- Digital Takeout Church Family Faith Conversations (instead of printing them you can send them by email or post to social media)
- More ideas to Include or Share with Families
- Journeys with Paul Family Discipleship Package from Refocus Family and Intergen Ministry
F.A.Q. for Ministry Leaders
Q: Why Takeout Church?
A: I first came across this idea in 2016 when I read this post from a church that had come up with the idea as a way to engage families over the summer. The idea stuck with me and I decided this would be a great resource to create for our churches to support them in equipping families for faith formation. We launched it in 2019 with a pizza box theme. In 2020, due to the ongoing pandemic uncertainties, we pivoted to a fully virtual resource. In 2021, we created a hybrid version that can be created as a physical kit you distribute to families, or a virtual resource. We stayed with the hybrid version for 2022 and will continue to offer it as a hybrid going forward.
Q: What does it cost?
A: It all depends on how you might want to customise the resource for your community! If you follow just the basic resource here you will need to purchase some kind of bag/box/container to put the materials in, a package of microwave popcorn and the cost of printing the resources.
Q: Do I have to create this exactly as described for my families?
A: No! You can create it exactly as is or customise it in any way that makes sense for the families in your church! This is not an original idea to CBOQ Kids but has been based on the idea from the church that originally created it. You may even want to check out different ideas we have included from past years to add to this year’s kit.
Q: Do I have to put it in a backpack?
A: You do not have to use a backpack. The year we launched it we used pizza boxes because it was a good way to communicate the theme of ‘takeout’, and makes for an easy way to store and travel with the resource. One year we recommended a pail. This year we use a travel theme and have created it in a backpack for our example but you can use any type of box, container or bag that makes sense for your community. If you want to make backpacks like shown, here is where we ordered from. If you want to use pizza boxes, here is where we ordered from.
Q: What is the age range for this resource?
A: This resource has been created to be used intergenerationally. The Bible stories chosen, along with the discussion questions and activities are suitable for young children through older adults and can easily be simplified or expanded depending on age and biblical understanding.
Q: Is there a teaching theme this resource uses?
A: Yes! The theme of the resource this year is “Expedition Bible Trek: Paul’s Journeys”. We are inviting families to explore 5 stories from the life of Paul and his missionary journeys.
Q: What are the hashtags? Why use them?
A: A hashtag is the # symbol followed by a word or phrase, used on social media like twitter, instagram and facebook. It is a way of categorising messages or pictures that allows it to be discovered by others. We are inviting people to use #cboqkids and #takeoutchurch and #flatjesus (all 3!) so that we can connect with and see everyone making use of this resource and to join with other churches that have used this idea over the last several years. You may want to add a hashtag for your church or ministry as well!