Ontario may be back in lock down again this month, but after a Christmas holiday season of no travel, you might be looking to take a little road trip. Here are some covid-friendly ideas for going on a journey that has no particular destination, keeps you safe inside your vehicle and is sure to create some fun family memories!
Please note: The following 10 ideas are for going out on a short (i.e. 1-2 hour) car ride around your area, only as long as family members can handle (depending on age) before needing a break or washroom facilities. Please check local covid-guidelines and avoid any unnecessary stops or contact with others.
- It is always important to pack some snacks for a car ride! Instead of just bringing along some food, create a fun eating experience! For example, create your own edible necklace! There are lots of fun snacks with holes in them. Grab a piece of string and make your snack wearable! Check out this post for the idea.
- Choose or make some playlists and sing along to your favourite songs! Check out some of the fun worship playlists we have created on spotify: Get up and dance Praise songs, Story Songs, Kids Worship.
- Listen to an audiobook or podcast. Here are some interesting podcasts: Check out this list of 25 best podcasts for kids from Common Sense Media.
- Play ‘Traveller’s Alphabet’. Each person takes turns finishing this sentence, “I am going on a journey to…” using a word that begins with a specific letter of the alphabet, beginning with A and continuing until you reach Z.
- Play the classic “I spy” game. Or change it up and play “I spy” using your 5 senses! (I spy with my sense of smell, I spy with my sense of hearing, etc)
- Play virtual hide and seek! Imagine a place in your home to hide. (size and whether you fit does not matter!) Everyone else asks yes or no questions to try and determine where you are ‘hiding’.
- Play “Would you rather…” Make up your own or check out this site for ideas.
- Tell jokes! Everyone needs some good belly laugh time! Share jokes you know or check out this site, this site and this site for some family friendly jokes.
- Put together a craft tray! Grab a cookie sheet or other shallow tray and put paper, pencils, markers, etc on it. Make it magnetic if you have some magnetic strips!
- Create a storytelling surprise bag! Grab some items from around the house to use as props for a story. Put them in a bag/box that you cannot see into. Create a family story with each person adding a sentence by pulling an item out of the bag to use in the sentence.
What other fun car ride ideas do you have? I would love to hear your ideas or stories about any of these ideas you try! Email me. If you post pictures to social media, include #cboqkids or tag @cboqkids
We might be in lock down, but we can still create some fun family memories!